Monday, September 3, 2012

What It Is Really Like to Run Twenty Miles Without Stopping - For the First Time Marathoner


Unlike McKayla, Rebecca IS impressed at NRC
Training Days Completed: 160
Miles Run: 310.5
Days to Chicago Half Marathon: 6
Days to Chicago Marathon: 34
Miles Left In Training Program: 157
Best Running Store: Naperville Running Company
Best Running Magazine: Runner's World
Best Beginner's Training Program: Higdon Novice 1
Best Female Marathoner: Kara Goucher










What It Is Really Like to Run Twenty Miles Without Stopping - For the First Time Marathoner

Saturday, September 1st was an important day for many in the Chicago area. Regardless of what training plan Chicago Marathoners are using (Nike, Hal Higdon, et al) most were scheduled to run 20 miles. It is the longest of the long runs in any marathon training plan. I am friends with several seasoned long distance runners, and NONE of them would scoff at running 20 miles in a single outing. This run was a big deal to me period. After the gastrointestinal disaster at the Chicago Rock N Roll half, I was scared of this workout as it loomed on the schedule I keep taped to the wall above my desk. The first full week of school I was exhausted every night and missed all but one run. The second week of school, I developed a knot in my calf that spasmed all day. I frankly wondered if signing up for the Chicago Marathon had been a serious error in judgement. My heart was in the right place as I am in this to honor the memory of a friend, Katy Sirovatka. I raised over $1400 so far. My entire school is behind me as well as my family and friends. Still, I was petrified that I would let them down, that although my intentions are good that my body would not be able to deliver.

I took care of my calf by massaging it with a foam roller, golf ball, tennis ball, Ben Gay, whatever. I have no idea which technique worked best because I desperately tried so many. My guess is the golf ball. I put my entire body weight on the golf ball on the knot in my calf until the pain went away. This took a couple days, by the way. The Wednesday before my 20 mile run, I was scheduled for 9 miles. It was the first long run I was able to complete on a school night. To my shock and pleasant surprise, I felt better and more energetic than before at work the next day. How this is possible I have no idea, but I am starting to become more optimistic in general. The prior pain I blogged about: my knees, my plantars fasciitis, and my calves are almost completely gone. I only continue to wear the patellar straps for my knees because I will change nothing about my gear before my big marathon day. NOTHING. I am even stuck with wearing the ugly Asics Gel 3030 because the Brooks GTS I experimented with were a disaster. I feel like the only runner with blah white shoes, but oh well. After hearing numerous stories about so-and-so not being able to actually run in the Chicago Marathon due to a last minute injury etc. etc. etc. I am going to stay the course from now until Columbus Day Weekend. Plus, despite their boringness, running in the Asics is almost as good as a pedicure. I said almost.

The Asics Gel 3030 - The Most Expensive, Ugly Running Shoe You Will Ever Love










Rebecca & Noon Running 20 on IPP
Saturday afternoon I geared up for 10 miles out and back on the Illinois Prairie Path. I strapped on my ipod and Garmin Forerunner GPS watch with a goal of running a 12 minute pace throughout. I already know that I only need to run a 15 minute mile to qualify as an official finisher in Chicago. I have also been trying a version of the Galloway Method. I run 1 mile and then walk 1 minute. I adopted this strategy after completing my last half and found that I beat my PR at the half on every single training run since. Although the idea of walking for any amount of time during a race was counter-intuitive to me at first, I decided that if it's good enough for Jeff Galloway, an expert, then it is good enough for me, a rookie. The first 3 miles of my run was solid. I stopped every mile to gently stretch my arches and calves. This seemed beneficial and well worth the time. At mile 5, I was loosened up and ready to settle into a steady rhythm. It was at this point that I met a fantastic marathoning father/daughter team. Mr. Zelnor and his daughter Mrs. Noon. I am terrible at first names, but I focused on remembering their surnames so I could include them in this blog. I also work with one of Noon's childhood friends. Hopefully she will see this post.   :)

Mr. Zelnor gives Rebecca a reassuring pat on the back
It was obvious from Zelnor and Noon's gear and technique that they were training for the Chicago Marathon too. I excused myself as I passed them and then apologized when they caught up to me as I started my one minute walk. Instead of passing me, they slowed down to join me. Zelnor and Noon saw that I was breaking in my Jack's Team singlet for next week and wanted to hear about my experiences as a first time marathoner and charity runner. This family was fun to talk with and an incredible positive influence. The father completed 35 marathons and his first was when he was about my age. They also wanted to hear about how I started running (to quit smoking) and about Katy's story. It was a cloudy day, and it rained the entire time I was out. (Thank you to Hurricane Isaac.) However, I kept thinking about what Mr. Zelnor said. He said that today would be a great day for me because it would be my first 20 mile run ever. A great accomplishment as well as reassurance that I WOULD finish Chicago and successfully honor the memory of my friend. Wow. He was right, and I thought about that for the remaining 12 miles of my run. Meanwhile, along the way, I received many smiles, waves, and thumbs up from strangers for my efforts for Jack's Team.

Ace Ventura - Alrighty Then!
At mile 11, my former GI troubles begin to rear their ugly head. UGH!!! It had been over a month since I experienced Runner's Trots and I honestly thought that mine were caused by heat and inexperience. WRONG. It was not hot today, and I was not running quickly. I later consulted with my mother about what trigger foods she avoids for IBS. Let's see, she said: alcohol, cheese, caffeine, and chocolate are the worst triggers. Well alrighty then. Good thing I went to Wine and Cheese in Plainfield for dinner the night before and had coffee and chocolate chip French Toast for breakfast. It was chocolate chips on 12 grain bread. That's healthy, right? Right! I will not make this same mistake again. There will be others but not this one. In the future my diet will consist of white rice and potatoes for three days before a race/long run.

McKayla is not impressed by Port-A-Potties
At mile 12, I stop to use the Port-A-Potty at mile marker 0 in Wheaton. Neither McKayla nor I were impressed... at all. Blech. I gagged a few times before giving up and leaving. I knew that the Warrenville Public Library would be open at mile 17 and was willing to take my chances and wait 5 miles to use the facilities. Up to this point, I maintained my 12 minute mile pace. However, due to the GI pain, I slowed down to 14:00 per mile. I reasoned that there was no point in making myself ridiculously ill on a training run. I felt okay through mile 17 and much better after stopping at  the library. Consequently, I was able to pick up my pace again and finish my 20 mile run in 4:24:48. This is an average pace of 13:15. Not bad, particularly considering my GI issues. A 13:15 pace for a marathon distance would result in an overall time of 5:47. This is well within the maximum of 6:30.

The next day my muscles and joints felt great, strong and pain-free. However, I was surprised by the four hour nap I needed. I laid down to rest my eyes at 11:00 AM and what do you know? All of a sudden it's 3:00 PM. Whoops. Still, I am not going to be too hard on myself. This will be my first marathon after all. I worked past my lowest moment in late July and am starting to feel better after every long run rather than like a truck ran over me. I feel an incredible sense of accomplishment to have made it this far and to have reached the point where running is a pleasure again rather than a means to an abstract goal.

Thank you to everyone that has been supporting me up to this point. You mean the world to me. An extra special thanks to my racing buddies Tania and Brittney. You are my inspiration to be better and go faster. Christine, Lisa, and Dan have also been amazing and willing to share encouragement and advice. They have completed Marathons, Half Marathons, Ironmans, Half Ironmans, etc. etc. etc. and therefore lead by example. <3

Raising Funds at the Chicago Half Marathon

This Sunday, I will be running the Chicago Half Marathon as a member of Jack's Team to honor the memory of Katy Sirovatka. Since starting my journey, two additional people in my life were touched by melanoma. One lost her battle but the other person is still bravely fighting. I hope that you will consider donating to Jack's Team via my fundraising page and help me reach my goal of $2000. I chose this goal because $2000 was the amount Katy raised when she finished the Wisconsin Ironman for Melanoma. Jack's Fund is a 501c3 charity that participates in corporate matching programs. It is run by the friends and family of Jack H. Marston II. He was an active member of his Glen Ellyn, Illinois community, a four-time Chicago Marthon Finisher, and a soccer coach. I am proud to support Jack's Team. As a donor, you can rest assured that that the vast majority of your dollars benefit those whose lives are directly affected by this disease. Jack's Team members pay their own marathon entrance fees, transportation, and hotel costs.

Thank you for taking the time to read this blog. Thank you for your support whether it be encouragement, a donation, or both. My journey is almost complete. To be continued...

Related Links


2) Information on Jack's Fund: http://www.jacksfund.org/index.htm


4) Runners World Article on Avoiding Race Day Disasters Including GI Distress: http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-239-582--14522-0,00.html

5) Illinois Prairie Path: http://www.ipp.org/

6) Chicago Half Marathon: http://www.chicagohalfmarathon.com/

7) Naperville Running Company: http://www.runningcompany.com/ 

8) Kara Goucher Fan Page: http://www.facebook.com/KaraGoucher

9) Wine and Cheese: http://wcbytcc.com/home.html



2 comments:

  1. You go girl! You are an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you to YOU, Jenna, my most loyal reader. Love ya!

      Delete